[TN-Bird] Great Egrets

  • From: Stczipperer@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:06:34 -0500 (EST)

Gallatin, TN
Sumner Co.
Lewis Pond

Jan. 11, 2013

Birded Lewis Pond this morning. Which is near the Gallitin Steam Plant. Not
 as many ducks as I had hoped.

6 Mallards
1 Ring-necked Duck

12 Great Egrets flew over the pond from the Cumberland  River while I was
there and then flew back towards the river.

Trousdale County
Lock 5 Wildlife Refuge

Also birded this spot from the Bridge over the Cumberland river on HWY 231
North of Lebanon, TN
and the Entrance to the area which is closed this time of year.

Red Shouldered Hawk, screeching
100+ Mallards
Am. Black Ducks
Northern Shovelers
Gadwalls.
75-100 Wild Turkeys

I had not birded this spot since the late 1980's the tree's have gotten a
lot bigger making it harder to see the ducks from the entrance and the
Bridge.  Also a lot more Tractor Trailer traffic. Probably some other  species
in there just could not get good views.

Shutes Branch Rec. Area, Old Hickory Lake
Wilson Co.

Island out from the Rec area had about 40 Great Blue Herons flying around
and standing in the nests at this Rookery.