[TN-Bird] Great Blue Hunting Rats

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:26:44 -0400 (EDT)

Aug. 14, 2011
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co, TN

Over the years, I've seen Great Blue Herons catch and eat a  lot of strange
stuff from turtles and snakes to Pectoral Sandpipers. Here  at the "Pits"
in Memphis, since 1996, one bird returns year after year to the  same spot
and stalks rats. We get few Great Blue Herons around the lagoons  because
there are no fish in the sludge but we do get some healthy  rats.

Photos at;

_http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/greatblue_hunter_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/greatblue_hunter)

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this  feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.