[tn-bird] Grasshopper Sparrows just south of Nashville

  • From: JanKShaw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:41:03 EDT

Today, May 29, I went with my parents to see the Dickcissels that were found
off of Del Rio Pike (Williamson County) on the Nashville Spring Count.  We
did find at least 1 pair, and had great looks at the male singing from the
telephone wire, and then on the thistles.  Driving a little further we found
at least 2 pair of Grasshopper Sparrows in some fields that are fast turning
into a new subdivision.  They were both seen singing and carrying food.  I
think this was a private field that was not available to birding until
recently, when the subdivision went in.  If you want to see the birds you
better go this year, because the field will be gone soon.  One bird was
singing from a Crye-Leike sold sign.  This is a rare bird for the Nashville
area.

Directions: Take Hillsboro Rd. south and turn right onto Old Hillsboro Rd.
Turn left onto Del Rio Pike and go to the stop sign.  Turn right, and the
Dickcissels are in the fields on both sides of the road.  Just past the
Dickcissel fields there is a sharp left.  Go straight instead into the
Whitehall Farms subdivision (Binkley Dr.).  Turn right onto White Hall Dr.
and the first pair of Grasshopper Sparrows was right across the street from
1049 White Hall Dr. singing from the posts there at the corner.  Keep going
straight and take a right near the end of the road and follow the fields.
The second pair of sparrows was by the Crye-Leike sold sign on the left and
on another sign on the right.  There's also a big yellow machine in the field
that one perched on.

Jan Shaw
Nashville, TN