[TN-Bird] Goodies after the TOS winter meeting

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:46:04 EST

Hello Birders,
First of all, thanks to all of you grand birders at the TOS Winter Meeting
for wonderful companionship, leadership and transportation which was afforded
me by such nice  interesting people.  It was good to meet so many of you
whose E-mails I've been reading and enjoying for so long.  What a great bunch
of
folks you are!

A special note of thanks to Daniel Moss for getting the whooper on Sunday
morning!!!    How super that was!  We'd sort of "threatened" him if he didn't
produce, and he found the bird within ten minutes after we got to the gazebo!
First time I'd seen a whooper since Aransas many years ago.  Hooray!

After everyone left on Sunday, I went back out to Hiwassee and found the
sandhill cranes back up RIGHT AT THE GAZEBO and, hopefully, got some really
good
pictures.  When I learn how to get my new digital camera's "stuff" on line,
I'll let you know.  I just bought it, and I need to take some classes to find
out
how to do something worthwhile with what I "shot."  As I told the folks I
met, I am dumber than a rock when it comes to "technical stuff."

Before I left the area on Monday morning, I went back out to Hiwassee, but
the cranes stayed quite far away.  I did get a little bit of video of them, but
nothing spectacular.  I kept forgetting that I'd taken my video cam with me.
I'm getting old, right?  When I came back in on Hwy 60, I got to the
intersection of Hwys. 27 & 30 and ONE sandhill crane flew right over the town
of Dayton
and my car, so I said to myself that he was giving me one final "crane go
odbye" for being there.  I really hated to leave those lovelies and wished I
could
have "imported" a few back here to Bell's Bend (across the Cumberland River
from me) so I could hear their squawking forever.  Oh, how very special they
are!

My bossy mockingbirds and others are sure glad I'm home AND providing peanut
butter, jelly, seed, and yellow cake.  I sure have a spoiled bird population
here, but I love every minute of it.

Thanks to all of you for a great time.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson