[TN-Bird] Good waterbirds at Lake Tansi Nov 26, 2012 at dusk; pretty good today

  • From: "elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:19:16 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday (Monday, Nov. 26), since I saw 3 Common Loons flying by my home in
southern Cumberland County (a by-product of viewing a flock of Sandhill
Cranes), I decided to check out Lake Tansi at dusk. Finding 4 Surf Scoters, a
large flock of Common Loons, a large Bufflehead flock, and a gull flock was a
nice reward. I went back early this morning, also going to nearby Lake
Hiawatha, and found Lake Tansi was good, but not like the evening before.

Below are the two eBird lists.

Ed LeGrand
Crossville, Cumberland Co., TN

 Lake Tansi, Cumberland, US-TN
Nov 26, 2012 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Dusk at Lake Tansi marina. Overcast, 53 degrees, calm.
15 species

Canada Goose  2
Gadwall  6
Ring-necked Duck  1
Lesser Scaup  3
Surf Scoter  4     females (or immatures) swimming in main body of open water.
None showed any evidence of white in wings, though none spread their wings over
the 10 minutes observed. Occasionally one or more would have the tail cocked
similar to nearby smaller Ruddy Ducks.
Bufflehead  350     possibly a low count (originally estimated 400). As many as
I've seen there before.
Hooded Merganser  1
Ruddy Duck  200     estimated
Common Loon  65     counted  (had 3 fly past the house earlier in the day
--different birds)
Pied-billed Grebe  50
Horned Grebe  3
American Coot  1200     estimate (likely low)
Sandhill Crane  6     flew around the lake (others seen at home today--good
migration day: 250 total in three flocks)
Bonaparte's Gull  6     with Ring-billed Gulls
Ring-billed Gull  40     flock resting on lake

Lake Tansi, Cumberland, US-TN
Nov 27, 2012 6:20 AM - 7:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Lake Tansi marina at dawn, beach, Arrowhead Dr., and Lake
Hiawatha. 44 degrees, strong northwest  breeze of lake, cloudy with light
fog/drizzle. Gulls gone and most of waterfowl on the center of the lake last
evening had dispersed or left.
27 species

Canada Goose  20
Mute Swan  1       usual bird at Arrowhead Dr.
Gadwall  27       most at L. Hiawatha
American Wigeon  6       Lake Hiawatha
Mallard  2
Green-winged Teal  4       Lake Tansi
Ring-necked Duck  600       500 (estimated) at L. Hiawatha, 100 at L. Tansi
Lesser Scaup  3
Bufflehead  60        As I arrived at 6:20 AM a large flock of ducks (estimated
at 250 flew off--presumably these were mostly Buffleheads from the large flock
there last evening).
Ruddy Duck  150       In cove by Arrowhead Dr. (usual spot)
Common Loon  76     counted. Same as large flock noted last evening. Some
started flying around the lake about 6:45 AM (not sure if some flew off).
Pied-billed Grebe  30
Great Blue Heron  1
American Coot  1200      Estimated
Belted Kingfisher  1