[TN-Bird] Good September in Our Yard

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 19:33:11 -0500

Carpal Tunnel problems have prevented making daily reports but we had a good
September migration here on the Hill.  18 species of warblers came through with
more Golden and Blue-winged and Magnolias than we've ever seen in a single
month.  Several White-eyed and Red-eyed and 1 Warbling Vireos spent long
periods working through the trees.  A single Blue Grosbeak on the 5th was gone
before the first Rose-breasted showed up on the 17th; he since has been joined
by at least a dozen more and they remained through today.  A Veery popped out
of the trees right beside the deck on the 9th and stayed three days; a
Swainson's Thrush appeared on the 17th, a Hermit on the 18th, and finally a
Wood Thrush (our favorite) let us appreciate his beauty all day on the 26th.
The only unusual flycatchers were two Willow/Alder that gave us an aerial show
on the 19th but never vocalized.
After the babies fledged we had about 100 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and by the
time we went to Tucson for three weeks they were mature enough we took down our
feeders.  When we returned and put out a single feeder we soon had about 10 but
their number has dwindled down to 3 at present.

We cleaned out the brush piles yesterday in preparation for the White-throated
Sparrows.  They're being reported in the Virginia's today so hopefully we'll
hear their sweet song in our yard in a few days.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County

                       MAP RESOURCES