[TN-Bird] Good Birds TN-MS

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:07:07 EST

Feb. 20, 2010
Ensley Bottoms
TVA Lake, Robco Lake,
Shelby Co. TN
DeSoto and Tunica Co. MS

Birds are moving and birding is now like a bud on a tree getting ready to
burst. Red-tailed Hawks are now paired up, sitting side by side on the same
limb. Some of the western varieties are still hanging around but most have
left  their winter territories. The dark, intermediate morph Red-tail is
still sitting  off of Arkabutla Dam Road but the best raptor yesterday was a
dark morph, of the  brown type, Rough-legged Hawk, seen hunting off of highway
61 just south on the  TN line. I have never seen this morph before, pretty
exciting stuff.

The Bald Eagles at the nest in Ensley Bottoms, are apparently feeding
young as one of the pair delivered take-out and the other was seen tearing off
bits and passing it down into the nest but occasionally gulping big chunks
for herself. A few Lapland Longspurs are still using the grassy fields at
the  pits. The turn over at TVA Lake this past week has produced 14 species of
 waterfowl including a single Greater White-fronted Goose on Tuesday. At
Robco  Lake the numbers have only decreased slightly but still no scoters or
Long-tailed Duck which have become almost regular down there for the past
few  years. Blonds do have more fun as the leucistic Lesser Scaup was being
courted  by a pair of handsome males.

Just south of the TN line, in DeSoto Co, MS, in the early morning flew 2
groups of Sandhill Cranes totaling 42 birds. I had missed these birds on my
last  two visits down that way.

Sitting with the gulls near the landfill at four roosting  locations,
picking through the birds on the ground
and scanning the incoming and out going traffic, produced some nice birds.
Among the thousands of Ring-bills and a few Bonaparte's, I found all 4 ages
of  Herring Gulls in good numbers, the immature California found last week
and an  adult California, plus an adult Thayer's and a 2nd cycle Lesser
Black-backed  Gull. I got some poor photos but will try for better ones today.

It is bursting at the seams out there, be there or be
square................
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES