[TN-Bird] Golden Wing Warbler

  • From: "J.N. & Ella Howard" <birders3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:24:31 -0500

Friends,
     I thought some might be interested in an update after I reported
seeing a Golden Wing Warbler on May 29th.  It seemed to me to have nesting
material in its beak.  However, two top-notch birders came in the next two
days and did not see it and I tried again as well and did not.  Kevin
Calhoun came one day and Tommie Rodgers the next and, while they saw or
heard several "good" birds, the Golden Wing was not among them.  I feel
pretty good about the identification because my wife, Ella and I lived for
12 years in SW Virginia in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains and
there was a route we took several times each spring for Warblers and other
migrants and always had Golden Wings in a certain area.  They seemed to
prefer scrub brush settings, but we looked forward to their buzzing "song"
and seeing them regularly.  At our place here the bird I saw was in trees
along the edge of a long field on our property.  Just beyond that row  of
trees is a branch of Fiery Gizzard creek so birds often show up on our
field side, but then may go back across the creek and us not seem to locate
them again.  The only other time we have had a Golden Wing here was about
10 years ago in migration time - a definate sighting, but brief.  Wish we
could have seen this one again and can't be sure it was nesting material it
had in its mouth, but it had something that did not seem to be an insect,
etc.  I appreciate Kevin and Tommie coming and wish we could report a solid
find.
                                                J. N. Howard, Fiery Gizzard
Cove, Marion County.