[TN-Bird] Golden Eagles galore in Burke's Garden

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:36:55 -0500

Thirty-seven birders from four clubs birded Burke's Garden in Tazwell County,
VA today and it was a good day for all.  The Bristol Bird Club's 15 Annual
Golden Eagle Field Trip produced 3 Golden Eagles, a Rough-legged Hawk light
morph and many other nice birds.
Birders from the Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter of the TOS of Elizabethton, TN, the
New River Bird Club at Blacksburg, VA, Buchanan County Bird Club and BBC birded
during a beautiful, sunny day with strong winds.  No snow was on the roads.  It
was wonderful.

The Bristol / Herndon Chapter group had 20 birders.  The New River Bird Club 10
and the Buchanan County Bird Club 7.

Dave Worley was the leader for the BBC field trip.  The Herndon Chapter of TOS
provided most of the two-way FM radios which made complete communications
possible.  Don Holt compiled the trip list.

The BBC-organized group included:  Janice Martin, Fred Martin, Lois Cox, Wilma
Boy, Rob Biller, Tom Hunter, Teressa Epperson, John Hay, Diana Worley, Dave
Worley, Jacki Hinshaw, Nora Schubert, Diane Draper, Rick Knight, Mike Poe, Don
Holt, Wallace Coffey, Louise Tilson, Dick Moose and Judy Moose.

One Golden Eagle flew close over the trailing cars of the BBC group during
mid-afternoon -- treetop level in bright sun, providing a sensational look.
Two other birds flew along Garden Mountain and kited in the wind for long
periods as we got our scopes on them for great studies.  We may have had as
many as five Golden Eagles but there was so much movement among Golden Eagles
that we couldn't be sure when we were seeing the same birds twice.

Of great fun were seven Red-headed Woodpeckers including one at a feeder in a
roadside yard.

The Rough-legged Hawk hunted from the crown of a tree far afield and once was
driven from its perch by a Red-tailed Hawk.  Ed Talbott of  the Buchanan County
Bird Club reported later that they saw one at very close range below the road
in a draw.

Our list included:

American Black Duck 4
Mallard 25
Northern Shoveler 2
Green-winged Teal 16
Golden Eagle 3
Red-tailed Hawk 4
Rough-legged Hawk 1
American Kestrel 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Common Snipe 2
Mourning Dove 6
Rock Pigeon 17
Belted Kingfisher 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Red-headed Woodpecker 7
Horned Lark 12
American Grow ~ 300
Blue Jay 1
Common Raven 6
Eastern Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
Carolina Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Eastern Bluebird 7
American Robin 1
Loggerhead Shrike 2 (perched together along the edge of the woods)
European Starling 16
Dark-eyed Junco 11
Song Sparrow 2
Eastern Meadowlark ~ 20
American Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 4.

We could smell the presences of a striped skunk and watched a 'Possum out
"eagle hunting" in the middle of an open field.  Oh my!

A dozen birders enjoyed sending themselves a post card from the quaint U.S.
Post Office and visiting with the woman postmaster.  A photo was made of the
Post Office tour group gathered on the front steps.  Food was good all day and
the fellowship really neat.

It was another fine day for birders in every way.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN