[TN-Bird] Golden Eagle project update - and a new capture!

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:02:24 +0000

Some good news on the Golden Eagle project in the last week.

Our rehab bird (named Jericho, for the Walls of Jericho near where we caught
her) was successfully treated for lead poisoning by Knox Martin and Martha
Waldron at the Mid-South Raptor Rehab Center in Memphis. She had very high
levels of lead in her blood when we caught her, but with treatment, her levels
are significantly lower and she was ready for release.  We returned her to
within ¼ mi of where we trapped her and released her on Wed, Mar 5 with a
transmitter.  She spent the night after release close to the release site and
on Friday, March 7, she initiated migration.  She flew north along the
Cumberland plateau and was in southern West Virginia on Sunday morning!

We trapped a NEW golden eagle on Wednesday, March 5, at Bear Hollow Mountain
WMA.  "Sand Rock" is a 4th year male.  After trapping, he wandered into AL a
little and initiated migration north on Saturday.  He followed almost the exact
same route as Jericho and was on Frozen Head SP and N. Cumberland WMA on Sunday
(yesterday).

Hytop is still in Indiana and is spending significant time in the same forested
corridor and specific forest patches he used last spring.

Monroe - from Unaka Mountain - flew to NE WV in 2 days (~340miles), spent a day
there, and followed a similar route back to the exact spot where he was trapped
(in only 2 days)!  Not sure if he was going north and decided it was cold and
snowy and came back down or what.  Interesting behavior on some of these birds!

Our other 2 birds are still where they were upon last posts.

Home page for the Golden Eagle Project
http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/GoldenEagles.cfm

Tennessee Golden Eagle Project Blog
http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/news.cfm