[TN-Bird] Golden Eagle fledgling, 2 July 2012, Smith Co.

  • From: "Bob Hatcher" <hatcher2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>, "'TN-Birds'" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:24:51 -0500

The following are a few other interesting tidbits pertaining to the Golden
Eagle fledging that was found emaciated on July 2 north of Hwy 85 on Little
Salt Lick Road, about two miles NW of Salt Lick Creek Recreation Area of
Cordell Hull Lake.  More specifically:

.         That site, very near the Smith-Jackson County line, is only 3-4
miles from where a total of six Golden Eagles were fledged from the Flynn's
Lick Creek nest (Coordinates 36.38833 x 85.7775) on Cordell Hull Lake during
1993-2001.

.         The six Golden Eagles fledged from the Cordell Hull Lake nest
were:  1993 - 2, 1994 - 1, 1996 - 1, 1999 - 1, 2000 - 1, and 2001 - 1.

.         A nearby falconer (I don't recall his name) advised during skipped
nesting years that the adult golden eagles were observed in the general
vicinity of the Flynn's Lick nest site on Cordell Hull Lake, but no second
GOEA nest was ever reported in Tennessee during that period.

.         During their first year of nesting on Cordell Hull Lake, one of
the adult Golden Eagles had a wing tag with colors assigned to the Georgia
DNR, which had hacked Golden Eagles on Pigeon Mountain, south of
Chattanooga, TN.

.         The closest Tennessee Golden Eagle hack site was 95-100 miles to
the SE on Chickamauga Lake, where 37 young Golden Eagles were released from
1995 through 2000.  Ten more were released from AEF's Douglas Lake hack site
during 2001-2006.

.         No nests have been documented anywhere from the above 47 Golden
Eagle hack releases in Tennessee, which indicates they are not generally
adapted to nesting in the eastern U.S.

However, as Wallace Coffey indicates concerning the latest Golden Eagle
fledgling report, there is still much we can learn about Golden Eagles in
this region of the country, including telemetry studies of their migration
patterns.

Bob Hatcher

Retired TWRA Nongame & Endangered Wildlife Coordinator (1978-2001), and

Eagle Consultant, American Eagle Foundation

Brentwood, TN 37027