[TN-Bird] Golden Eagle, Greene Co., TN

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:14:08 -0500

Nov. 26, 2003
Clyde Austin 4-H Center
Greeneville, TN
D. Holt

     Near 11 am this morning I drove into the 4-H Center and directly beneath a
very large, dark, low-flying raptor, which my usually slow brain told me was
not a Turkey Vulture!  I parked and jumped out of the car and watched it as it
flew to the hill behind the canoe pond and circled a few times before leaving.
Its wingbeats were very smooth, slow and shallow.  It glided steadily with a
slight dihedral.  Its head was feathered, but relatively small.  There were no
white markings visible beneath.  The trailing edge of the wing was not even,
showing a "bulge" at the secondaries.
     This is the first Golden Eagle I have seen at the Clyde Austin 4-H Center,
where I seem to get my best birds while I'm standing in the parking lot!

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN