[TN-Bird] Godwits, r-n phalarope at Rankin

  • From: michael sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 23:02:07 -0400

Rankin Bottoms, Cocke county, 1-5 PM, viewing from shorewith Darryl Wilder, and
canoe
Douglas lake elevation: 979.3 ft. - just right for the gravel road to be
slightly elevated above mudflats and shallow rain run-off

A lot of shorebirds, and optimal lake level for viewing from the Old RR Bed
Road along the bottoms:  we saw a Red-necked Phalarope as we drove in & stopped
short of 2 Ruddy Turnstones flipping road gravel.  Beyond the  mudflats,  we
saw 10 Black-bellied Plovers, still in white-on-black breeding plumage; 2-300
shorebirds foraging in the shallows along the road  and more beyond.  A passing
Peregrine Falcon stirred the mix.

Blue-winged Teal and Northern Shovelers were snoozing along the shore beyond
Birders Point ;  we put in the canoe and while passing by the ducks,  found  a
Hudsonian Godwit in the long line.  We continued to Leadvale, and under the RR
trestle.   We saw about 100 Great Egrets, which have relocated their roost to
the west of the trestle - the earlier roost is now above water. A mix of
shorebirds was foraging  near  the  Northeast Point. Returning, we again
checked out the waterfowl, and this time we found a Marbled Godwit feeding in a
line of resting teal.  Darryl hailed us from Birder's Point gesturing with a
V-sign.  He had seen the Hudsonian and Marbled Godwits feeding side-by-side.
We later got a  distant look at the  two together:
http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/137865555

Highlights (counting by 5s, and rounding down):

Blue-winged Teal (100+)
Broad-winged hawk, an awkward juvenile
  photo at http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/137865502
Peregrine falcon
Black-bellied Plover (10)
Semipalmated Plover (25)
Killdeer - only 3
Lesser yellowlegs (70)
Solitary sandpiper (3)
Spotted sandpiper (4)
Ruddy Turnstone (2)
  photo at http://www.pbase.com/image/137865455/original
Hudsonian Godwit (lifer for us both)
  http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/137865522
Marbled Godwit
   http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/137865546
Sanderling (14)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (40+)
Wester Sandpiper (6)
Least Sandpiper (50+)
White-rumped Sandpiper (3)
Pectoral Sandpiper (25)
Stilt Sandpiper (40)
Short-billed Dowitcher (4)
Long-billed Dowitcher
Red-necked Phalarope
  http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/137865568
Black tern (3)

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Del Rio TN  -Home of the Del Rio Song Contest
                       http://www.delriosongcontest.com/