[TN-Bird] Gibson County birding - no Ground-Dove...

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 07:18:40 -0700 (PDT)

Thursday, April 4, 2013
Western Gibson County

I hit a few spots in the rain yesterday morning. On Bluff Road in western
Gibson County I tallied the following in a large wet area of shallow water:

Canada Goose - 14
Green-winged Teal - 50
Blue-winged Teal - 3
Gadwall - 4
American Wigeon - 30
Mallard - 25
Northern Shoveler - 26
Ring-necked Duck - 17
Great Blue Heron - 1
Great Egret - 2
Wilson's Snipe - 100+
Greater Yellowlegs - 1
American Pipit - 20
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 2, feeding in the shallow water with the pipits

At home, a Cooper's Hawk had all the birds in the yard on high alert. Eastern
Bluebirds are now nesting, including one nest with 3 eggs already. A Southern
Flying Squirrel has taken up residence in another bluebird box.

I went by the spot where I had the Common Ground-Dove on Tuesday and did not
see the bird. It was raining pretty hard when I was there so the bird may still
be around. I will check on it some more in the next few days.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County