[TN-Bird] Re: Gateway Pond, Rutherford County - SB Dowitcher

  • From: Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 17:50:16 -0500

Thanks to Terry for posting about the short-billed dowitcher at the Gateway
Ponds.  This was a good excuse to get out of the house for an hour as I've
been staying home with our daughter since she was born 13 days ago.  I
refound the short-billed dowitcher and counted 17 least sandpipers about
3:30pm this afternoon.  The pond is low and ugly, but I guess there's some
food as the shorebirds seemed content to hang out.  It'll definitely be
worth checking this site regularly thru the summer and fall to see what
else shows up.

Scott Somershoe

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I went by Gateway Pond at noon today looking for Black Terns - somebody
> pulled the plug, and there is very little water left, but loads of mudflats
> now instead.
>
> No terns, but in addition to loads of Killdeer, there was a small flock of
> about 10 Least Sandpipers accompanied by a Short-billed Dowitcher in mostly
> breeding plumage
> This spot is worth checking from now until winter, particularly whenever a
> storm is around
>
> Terry Witt
> Murfreesboro Tn

JPEG image