[TN-Bird] Fwd: island update

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 18:44:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to post this NON-TENNESSEE report for those of you
interested in migration in a broader scope.

This is from Shoals Marine Laboratory, where I spent 3 summers during
college, and where I learned to band birds.  It is 8 miles off the
coast of Maine.  The island is small - ~70 acres? and is an important
stopover spot for migration.  Check out the numbers.  "AT" refers to
a single 12 meter net.  "L1-4" refers to 4 such nets.  To get this
many birds in these nets is pretty serious banding.

Charlie

> Hi Everyone -
>
> Back in America after my week at the banding station. Dorothy,
> Walt, Priscilla, Kristin and I closed the station at 1300 on
Saturday and left on the Kingsbury at 1600. This was necessitated by
the decision not to run boats on Sunday due to anticipated bad
weather. I'll send an Excel document with a complete list of our
captures in a separate message, but here's a  quick account of our
highlights.

> Wednesday was fallout day. We opened L1-4 and AT at first light as
> usual and  were quickly overwhelmed. We had everything closed about
an hour later and  had 55 birds to process. We cautiously opened AT
after we got caught up and  had a hard time keeping up with that
until mid-afternoon, when we reopened  L1-2 only. We were getting
25-35 birds at each visit to the AT net, on 15-minute net rounds, and
the final count for the day was 250 banded and only 2 R. The island
was covered with birds. One of the Earthwatch gull project people
said that at one point he went to Broad Cove and estimated several
thousand warblers feeding in the intertidal and wrack line.
> Island staff were reporting birds everywhere, many of them
exhausted. I can't imagine how many birds we might have had if we'd
had more extracters and a faster bander. This was followed by 122 on
Thursday and 151 on Friday. We finally captured the SY/M SUTA that
had been around for several days, and banded a total of 7 RTHU. We
set up the hummingbird feeder over by the garden but did not set up
the Russell trap due to lack of time and the fact that we did not see
any birds at the feeder. Quite a week - everyone did a fantastic job
and spirits were good. As usual the island staff were very
supportive and the kitchen very understanding.