[TN-Bird] [Fwd: Re: life/yard bird?]

  • From: Raincrow <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TNbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:13:48 -0500

Hi Mark and others who have sent emails directly to my home e-dress:
This bird was about 100 ft uphill from what might be as much as ~0.5 sq.
mi. of pastureland. It perched maybe 3-4 trees back into my quite open
woods, and called for only 10 min or so fm that spot, so the habitat is
right enough. Also, I've lived w/ Great-horneds, Barreds, and Screech
owls for 25 years (along with the occasional Barn and Saw-Whet at my
Knoxville house), and heard some "classic" Long-eared calls perhaps 1/2
mi from my house just the other night. This was a DIFFERENT bird
altogether. I surfed for over an hour before I found a Manitoba website
with a dead-ringer audio clip of the hearty hoo-hoo-hooing that so
impressed my cats and me. Various European websites refer to it as a
"Voo-hoo-hoo-hoo" or "Boo-boo-boo-boo" (my ear heard more of a V than a
B). Check out http://www.naturenorth.com/summer/sound/Owlsnd6.html
--- it requires ShockWave. The daytime photo at this same site shows
clearly why I could see very light underwing and sides as the bird flew
through the woods.
So far, I haven't found a clip of the "low-moaning-cat" noises it also
made. And no hint of this bird since that night, unfortunately; just a
little mark in my yard-bird database.

Thanks, everyone, for your insights.

Liz Singley
Kingston TN