[TN-Bird] Fwd: Re: court nominee no friend to the environment

  • From: "Raincrow" <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:28:20 -0700

I agree that we should refrain from using TN-Bird as a forum for political
topics except those that touch directly on bird and ecosystem conservation.

If one beholds the bitterness the topic of my indoor-outdoor cats has generated
from time to time (for refusing to recant, the Virginia equiv of TN-Bird all
but pecked me to death and I had to drop out), we don't need to drag down this
forum with even more pressing and contentious issues.

Still, I think we should keep polite and disciplined avenues open for people to
raise an issue, then invite the "offline" participation of those interested. We
all know how to do this. My thought is that when a politically charged
conservation/environmental issue arises (such as drilling in ANWR or some
such), blogs, online news articles, and literature references abound. Perhaps
rabblerousers could:

>> Post a restrained, neutral msg naming the nature of the controversy and the
>> parties involved.
>> Offer reference materials (or be prepared to send such materials to
>> respondants) such as 1 or more URLs if available, or a "Go to [your favorite
>> search engine] and surf on the string "XXX XXXX XXXXXXX"
>> Invite those interested in dialog and/or political action to begin a
>> discussion group outside TN-BIRD.

Birdwatching is both relaxing and informative. I hope we can keep TN-bird that
way, too.

Good birds and constructive political donnybrooks (an oxymoron?) to all

Liz Singley
Kingston TN