[TN-Bird] Re: Fwd: Michigan Osprey in TN

  • From: Lyda Phillips <lydap@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:49:33 -0500

Fascinating, sad but you're right, has some really positive aspects.

Lyda Phillips
(301) 518-7538 (cell)
www.lydaphillips.com
writerworking.blogspot.com/

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 16:07:48 -0500
Subject: Re: [TN-Bird] Re: Fwd: Michigan Osprey in TN
From: ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx
To: lydap@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: bfcantwell@xxxxxxxxx; tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lyda and all,The bird was probably not killed by being mowed over (maybe
though).  It likely died last Friday (last date of data transmission) and the
mowing probably occurred this week. However there is certainly a chance it
could have been ill and was dying in the tall weeds and then got mowed over
last Friday, which could have killed the transmitter too.  Either way, if it
was on the ground in the weeds, it wouldn't have survived anyway unfortunately.
 The carcass was pretty far gone and mowed over, so not much to work with in
terms of determining cause of death.
I just spoke with the person that put the transmitter on the Osprey in MI.  The
bird had been acting odd for several days and they were concerned about it.
Maybe she had chronic issues or was sick and starving, etc.  Don't know.  On
the bright side, it's pretty uncommon to recover a bird/carcass like that, esp.
after a week on the ground, so they were thrilled (and sad) to know the
outcome. Actually getting a known outcome on something like this doesn't happen
often.
I'll send them the remains of the transmitter when I get it and they may be
able to salvage some parts.  It a shame to meet a follow researcher this way,
but she was very appreciative of everyone's efforts down here and the quick
response.  We also discussed Osprey nesting and population recovery in MI
(interesting issues they have) and our Golden eagles and tracking birds.  She
was thrilled to know a couple of our birds went through MI.
Scott Somershoe

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Lyda Phillips <lydap@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is that how the bird died, getting mowed over? If not, any info on cause of
death.

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 13:56:58 -0500
Subject: [TN-Bird] Re: Fwd: Michigan Osprey in TN
From: ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx
To: bfcantwell@xxxxxxxxx
CC: KnoxvilleTOS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Somehow I sent that email without hitting a button.  Anyway, Merikay Waldvogel
found the bird and met with our Wildlife Officer Wayne Rich on site.  They
salvaged the transmitter, which is probably toast, but maybe parts can be used.
 Thanks all!

Cheers,Scott Somershoe
On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Billie Cantwell <bfcantwell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can you help find this Osprey?Billie Cantwell Knoxville, TN

Thank you for your interest in helping our Michigan Osprey group locate Rachel,
one of our young Ospreys who is carrying a gps satellite transmitter. Her last
recorded data fix shows the following coordinates:  Lat/Lng:  36.13717 /
-83.60917.  The mapping on Google Earth indicates this final fix as being NE of
Knoxville, along the Holston River and near the Little Jump Rapids.  Although
we don't know for certain her fate, Rachel may have experienced a catastrophic
event and is possibly lying somewhere on the ground near the river and in the
general vicinity of those final coordinates .  We are asking for your
assistance in finding her and retrieving the satellite unit and are pleased you
are so eager to help us.

Tracking our migrating Ospreys is a team effort involving  MichiganOsprey,
MDNR, Huron Valley Audubon/Michigan Audubon, Detroit Zoo, and USDA Wildlife
Division. Attached are some photos including her last location and one of the
birds wearing the unit. I hope these help to guide you to her.

On behalf of our Osprey partners I thank you for your willingness to search for
Rachel.

Sincerely,

Barb Jensen

Michigan Osprey