[TN-Bird] Re: Fwd: Michigan Osprey in TN

  • From: Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Billie Cantwell <bfcantwell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 13:56:58 -0500

Somehow I sent that email without hitting a button.  Anyway, Merikay
Waldvogel found the bird and met with our Wildlife Officer Wayne Rich on
site.  They salvaged the transmitter, which is probably toast, but maybe
parts can be used.  Thanks all!

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Billie Cantwell <bfcantwell@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Can you help find this Osprey?
> Billie Cantwell
> Knoxville, TN
>

> Thank you for your interest in helping our Michigan Osprey group locate
> Rachel, one of our young Ospreys who is carrying a gps satellite
> transmitter. Her last recorded data fix shows the following coordinates:
> *Lat/Lng:
>  36.13717 / -83.60917*.  The mapping on Google Earth indicates this final
> fix as being NE of Knoxville, along the Holston River and near the Little
> Jump Rapids.  Although we don't know for certain her fate, Rachel may have
> experienced a catastrophic event and is possibly lying somewhere on the
> ground near the river and in the general vicinity of those final
> coordinates .  We are asking for your assistance in finding her and
> retrieving the satellite unit and are pleased you are so eager to help us.
>
>  Tracking our migrating Ospreys is a team effort involving
>  MichiganOsprey, MDNR, Huron Valley Audubon/Michigan Audubon, Detroit Zoo,
> and USDA Wildlife Division. Attached are some photos including her last
> location and one of the birds wearing the unit. I hope these help to guide
> you to her.
>
>  On behalf of our Osprey partners I thank you for your willingness to
> search for Rachel.
>
>  Sincerely,
>
>  Barb Jensen
> Michigan Osprey