[TN-Bird] Fw: Birding Sighting

  • From: "Ruth Luckado" <luck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:00:08 -0500

I'm sending this on for Don Davidson----some of you may have seen it in Africa

Ruth Luckado
----- Original Message -----
From: DONALD L DAVIDSON
To: Ruth Luckado
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:12 PM
Subject: Birding Sighting

Ruth,
Thought you might want to report this sighting on TN Bird. The bird was spotted
recently (last week?) by friends of mine on the utilities lines in front of
residence on Old Hickory lake near Cumberland River. The bird has been seen
several times...twice feeding with some blackbirds.  Three photos are attached.

I passed this ID back to my friends:

"Bird is pin-tailed Whydah, a native of Africa south of the Sahara.  It is
probably an escaped pet bird. They are seen occasionally in CA and FL.
They sell for about $50 single male or $120 per mated pair in pet shops or via
Internet in larger metropolitan areas. I don't know if any are sold in
Tennessee."

Regards,
Don D.