[TN-Bird] Re: Funky young eagle

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird listserve <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 17:10:33 -0500

The more I think about this bird, the more it bugs me. I have begun entertaining the possibility that it might in fact have actually been a Steller's Sea Eagle (almost surely an escape; a bit of googling reveals that they are kept by falconers). Its underwing pattern struck me as distinctive from the very beginning, and its unmistakably diamond-shaped tail keeps haunting me. It was in the sky with Turkey Vultures, and appeared much larger. I attributed this to perspective, but maybe it was actually that huge?

Anyway, just a heads up that there is a small chance that there might be a juvenile Steller's Sea Eagle on the loose in Middle Tennessee. When last seen it was drifting off towards the northeast from here (that way lies Nashville...), but it might wander towards any of the large lakes. Maybe look more closely at any juvenile Bald Eagles you come across?

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN
On Oct 8, 2013, at 11:28 AM, Bill Pulliam wrote:

A juvenile Bald Eagle just sailed over my house (10/8/2013, Lewis County) very very high that appeared to be trying to do an impression of a Steller's Sea Eagle. It had the very contrasting white underwing and the nicely wedge-shaped tail. Even had a nice bright yellow bill, as best as could be seen so far up into the stratosphere. In fact everything I could see looked right for a Steller's, other than being in Tennessee... Good thing I was not in Alaska!

Unless it followed the Hooded Crane.....?

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC

                      MAP RESOURCES