[TN-Bird] Fulvous Whistling-Duck etc; Shelby & Fayette Co 5/27/2013

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 18:08:40 -0700 (PDT)

5/27/2013
Memphis area (Shelby & Fayette Co)

Finally able to get to Memphis, my first time since going to Jeff's memorial
back in February. Definitely not gonna be the same birding Memphis without my
old friend around. Had hoped to get down for the Fulvous Whistling-Duck before
now, as it had been about 10 years since my only other ones up at Mud Lake in
Lake Co. Basically missed all of migration this year, but it was still nice to
get out.

On my initial pass thru the Pits, I only had a handful of Black-bellied
Whistling-Ducks, but finally found the Fulvous on my 2nd trip up to TVA Lake,
initially in the company of 3 Black-bellied. Eventually a total of 9
Black-bellied had come in to TVA before all of the birds lifted off and headed
back to their normal haunt in the central pits at Ensley. Followed them and had
great looks at the Fulvous and a high-count of 29 Black-bellied in the area.
Didn't expect many shorebirds to be left, but had hoped for a White-rumped
anyway. However, I had absolutely no transient shorebirds, just a plethora of
Black-necked Stilts, many on nests, and Killdeer. A lone Forster's Tern that
traveled thru the area was only other bird of note at Ensley. A Western
Kingbird
was on the fence in front of the Fleischmann's Yeast plant.

From here, traveled to President's Island. Made a brief try for Painted Bunting
at Ensley, with no luck, and looked for the Anhinga that had been seen along
Riverport with no luck as well. At President's Island, ran into old friend
Q.B.Gray enjoying a pair of Scissor-tailed Flycatchers. We located the nest of
this pair of Scissor-tails, along Channel Avenue just west of Dock Street.
Didn't see any other Scissor-tails, but had 8 Western Kingbirds on Presidents
Island, in 4 locations with one nest found along Harbor Avenue. In addition, a
female Western Kingbird x Scissor-tailed was seen well and photographed, always
an interesting bird. 10 Western Kingbirds total is definitely my best day for
that species, though I never made the concerted efforts Jeff always did looking
for these birds.

Meant to go by the River at Mud Island, but my time was running tight so didn't
go that route. Only other bird of note was a soaring Anhinga along I-40 in the
Loosahatchie River bottoms in Fayette Co.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd

Will post some photos later of some of the more interesting birds.