[TN-Bird] Frozen weather brings in the birds

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:42:22 -0500

TN-birders,

Pretty much the same story here as throughout the state in regards to the
ice/snow/freezing temperatures here at our place in Anderson County. We had a
layer of ice first and then about 1.5 inches of snow the other day. Then the
night temps. got down to 4 and then 3 deg. Thursday and Friday mornings. Then
we started getting some birds that normally don’t show up here. So far we’ve
had 26 species. Highlights below:

Sharp-shinned Hawk – hard enough to see this species anywhere anymore, but one
zoomed through the yard yesterday and landed in a small bush at the edge of our
yard. I managed to find it and watched it for a while, getting probably the
best look I’ve ever had of this species, as they can be amazingly shy at times.
While it was sitting there, about 6 feet off the ground and looking around, a
Dark-eyed Junco made the mistake of wandering along the ground under the bush
feeding. The sharpie pounced and got a nice meal-time snack effortlessly. Sweet
(at least for the sharpie!).

Blue Jay – normally we get a couple off and on, then yesterday we had 10. A new
high count for the yard.

Hermit Thrush – 2 of these winter beauties have been in the yard for about a
week now. ALWAYS a treat.

Brown Thrasher – normally we don’t see them much here, but we’ve had 2 the past
couple of days.

Fox Sparrow – ALWAYS a treat but we usually don’t get them much. We may go
several years in between sightings, but today we had 4! That was also a new
high count for the yard.

Purple Finch – Not common here but we had a pair today.

Rusty Blackbird!!!! – surprise of the day and a new yard bird (#115). We rarely
get blackbirds here, as our place is at the end of the road and is backed up
against a wooded ridge, away from the town of Oak Ridge, so this guy was a
complete surprise. Double sweet!

Great birding,
Ron Hoff and Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN