[TN-Bird] Franklin's Gull/gobs of Tree Swallows

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 18:03:22 -0400

TN-birders,

This morning Dollyann and I went out to Dutch Bottoms, in Cocke County on
highway 25E, to try to find the Franklin’s Gull reported from there. We located
it in with other gulls about 1.4 miles south of the 25E bridge, near an old
concrete silo (I think this is the last silo heading south).
YOU WILL NEED A SCOPE HERE! The birds were about 400 yards away, but with
patience and a scope we were able to find it and get decent looks. Along with
this gull were:
Ring-billed Gull – 240
Laughing Gull – 5
Herring Gull – 5
Common Tern – 1
Forster’s Tern – 11
Green-winged Teal – 5

Rankin Bottoms – since we were in the area we went over the hill to Rankin
Bottoms to see what was around. We found exactly one shorebird, a winter
plumaged Dunlin. No other shorebirds, not even a Killdeer. Of interest here was
a huge flock of Tree Swallows that we estimated, conservatively, at 2500.

The road that is usually flooded was exposed and is drivable, even with a
normal vehicle. The roadbed is rock and solid. There is a turnaround about a
half mile out. Just stay on the roadbed and you should be fine.

Great birding,
Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN