[TN-Bird] Fox Sparrows

  • From: "David Patterson" <dpatterson9328@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 14:38:46 -0500

Fox Sparrow, 3, yard near feeders, 1-8-2014, Ooltewah, Hamilton County,  David
Patterson

16 ft dia circle of leaves under Sweet Bay Magnolia, 9A to 10:30 A.
I scatter a cup or two mixed bird seed in these leaves each morning as I fill
my feeders.
Other birds with the Foxes: Cardinal 12+, White-throated 12+, Chipping 12 ++,
Junco ~12, Blue Jay 5, Brown Thrasher 1
Foxes would threaten any other bird that came closer than ~2 ft, except Jays
Once something spooked all the birds and they left for a few minutes.
One Fox flew about 4 ft and landed, struggled, appeared unable to fly for about
5 minutes, then flew to a branch about 3 ft up, rested there about 5 minutes,
returned to the ground, a Jay came too close and the Fox flew up 20 ft to the
top of the Sweet Bay, then left the area.  The other 2 Foxes were still present
when I had to leave about 10:30
I have never before seen 3 Fox Sparrows at once, and see none most years.