[TN-Bird] Fox Sparrow & Rusty Blackbirds--Montgomery Co.

  • From: "Nita Heilman" <nrheilmanandcats@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 14:48:11 -0600

February 20, 2015
Clarksville, Tn
Montgomery Co.

     The snow and bitter cold weather this week have brought birds to my
feeders that I don't normally see.  I have had 3 Rusty Blackbirds from Mon Feb.
15 through today, Feb 20. They arrived with a mixed flock of approximately
150-200 C. Grackles, Red-wing Blackbirds, Brown-headed Cowbirds and a few E.
Starlings.
     My usual dozen male Turkeys have increased to a herd of 101+ male, female,
juvenal turkeys.  Today for the first time since last November, I had a Fox
Sparrow.  A few minutes later a Chipping Sparrow showed up briefly.  I have has
a Hermit Thrush most days under my feeders and drinking from my birdbath since
Feb. 9.  The influx of blackbirds and turkeys have discouraged my usual yard
birds although small numbers are still attempting to feed here.

Nita Heilman
Clarksville, Tn