[tn-bird] Four species of geese at Shelby Farms plus

  • From: "William Peeples" <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 08:08:35 -0600

    Went to Shelby Farms this morning.  The Palm Warbler reported by Virginia
Reynolds is still there, at the trail on south side of Walnut Grove, the one
east of the regular Wolf River Trail and west of the trail at Germantown Rd.
    There were 2 Gr. White-fronted Geese (along with shovelers, snipes and a
pipit) at the flooded field on Moore Rd. next to Germantown Rd.  The 4 Ross's
Geese and 1 Snow Goose were in the Buffalo field, along with large Canadas and
at least a dozen Canadas of one of the "lesser" races.  I would guess
Richardson's, based on picture in Sibley.  I've checked Bellrose and the
Waterfowl of the World book, but they don't help much with identifying races.
I actually found Sibley more informative, with good range maps and a picture
that most closely matches these birds.  Nat'l Geog. shows hutchinsii
(Richardson's) as having a white neck collar; these birds don't, as the
Richardson's in Sibley doesn't.

Rob Peeples
Germantown, TN