[TN-Bird] Four White-winged Doves - Memphis - Photos

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:58:47 -0400 (EDT)

Aug. 10, 2011
President's Island
Shelby Co, TN

I had seen occasional, single White-winged Doves for the past  few years
among the hordes of doves on President's Island. Somershoe  photographed a
pair there this spring and I had another a few miles east of his  location in
the area that I had seen others before. At that time,  I mentioned about the
possibility of breeding, so  now................

Today, I found 2 birds among some Collared and Morning Doves.  The most
unusual thing is they were perched exactly on the same  pole where I had found
documented the first HYBRID Collared / Morning  Dove.

One of the first pair I found is a hatching year bird and the  other an
adult. While photographing these two, I heard another bird calling and  after
much searching found it feeding below them in the grassy and gravel  field
below. The young bird eventually flew down and joined the 2nd adult and  they
moved off into the denser grass. The other adult was still perched on the
pole when I left an hour later.

Returning down Channel to the east, I stopped at another large
concentration of doves and lucked up on another adult which I  photographed.

Photos of 3 of the birds can be seen at:

_http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/whitew_dove_tn_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/whitew_dove_tn)

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this  feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.