[TN-Bird] Forks of the River - Fox Sparrows, Merlin, Harrier

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:45:19 -0400

Finally got some birding in without getting rained on this afternoon.  Walked
around Forks of the River WMA in Knox County for a few hours starting at noon
and found some good birds.  First were two Fox Sparrows in a large brush pile
on the left a short distance before you reach the silo on the dirt road from
the parking lot.  The Merlin was perched atop a tree near the greenway and
beside the gravel road leading down to it from the silo area.  It was an adult
male judging from its slate gray upperparts as it flew away from me.  A
Northern Harrier (female or immature male) was hunting the fields (also saw a
harrier here March 5).  To round out the raptors seen, a very light Red-Tailed
Hawk flushed as I was returning to my car and landed in a tree across a field
facing me, showing off its belly band.

Lots of sparrows; I could only ID a small percentage of them as they fled in
front of me (actually I could only ID fleeing towhees; the others I had to wait
until they landed).  Most numerous appeared to be White-throated and Eastern
Towhees.   But there were also Song, Field and a couple Juncoes.

I didn't walk much of the paved greenway (I usually do), opting instead to
explore one of the trails at the bench at the end of the greenway after walking
there across the fields.  When I reached a juncture, I chose a path I thought
would lead me back to the bench but instead ended up back at the silo.  Here's
my list:

Canada Goose     1
Black Vulture     1
Turkey Vulture     1
Northern Harrier     1
Red-tailed Hawk    1
Merlin     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     4
Downy Woodpecker     1
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     4
Blue Jay     5
American Crow     1
Carolina Chickadee     3
Carolina Wren     8
Yellow-rumped Warbler     2
Eastern Towhee     15
Field Sparrow     5
Fox Sparrow     2
Song Sparrow     4
White-throated Sparrow     20
Dark-eyed Junco     2
Northern Cardinal     13
Red-winged Blackbird     35
Eastern Meadowlark     1

All of the red-winged blackbirds appeared to be females.   It's very muddy.  If
you go there, I'd recommend wearing boots or overshoes.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, TN