[TN-Bird] Fish Crow in Roane County?

  • From: John Devereux Joslin <jdjoslin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:04:59 -0400

Recently, someone on TN-birds reported a Fish Crow at Kingston Steam
Plant (sorry I forget who it was).  Over the past three years, I have
heard at least once, calls that I thought were Fish Crows in my
neighborhood--extremely nasal for a crow.  This year I even hear the
Unh-uh call, so characteristic of this species.  But when I traced the
caller down, each time he was with other crows that were giving normal
American Crow calls.  So I have dismissed this as a crow with an odd
voice.
    Since I live in the same county as Kingston Steam Plant (Roane) and
the Unh-uh call is so distinctive, I wonder if I have been remiss in not
reporting these birds.  DOES anyone know if Fish Crows will associate
with American Crows in the same flock?  And how likely are they to be in
Roane County (middle East Tenn.)?

Dev Joslin
Oak Ridge, TN