[TN-Bird] Re: First-in-years hummingbird HERE this early; baby mockingbirds a...

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 10:15:04 EDT

Good Morning,

Something I find unbelievable has happened here in the Charlotte Park
section of West Nashville.  I made my report of two baby mockingbirds  feeding
on
peanut butter on May 5.  Since that time, parent mockingbirds  had continued to
carry food to the nest across the street all this time, to the  point that I
though maybe they were  feeding a "phantom" baby.  Day  before yesterday, May
15, I THOUGHT I saw a third baby and both parents in full  attendance.  This
morning, I got photos of THREE babies and all being fed  by both parents as
well
as the "veteran" babies eating peanut butter and  grape jelly for themselves
when not being fed.  The "new" baby is almost as  big and well developed as
the other two, but seems somewhat more wobbley  and dependent in that it cries
and begs a lot and appears to have much more  immature behavior.  Doesn't this
seem to be a really long delay in  fledging/development/feeding itself for
this little bird?  Ten days seems  "forever" in a baby mockingbird's
development,
yet the parents never wavered in  carrying food to it in the nest, and NOW,
they have it here.......seemingly  healthy and eating well.  Suppose Mama laid
one egg real late, or  what?  I've seen it take two or three days to get the
whole brood to the  peanut butter in past years, but almost two weeks is a
first for me!  Does  anyone have a logical scientific explanation for this time
lapse in the  appearance of the third baby?  Two separate breedings close
enough
together  for all the eggs to be in one nesting AND causing a delay in
hatching and  development?  Both parents were carrying food for those interim
days
between the arrival of the first two babies and the third. Had  the last egg
hatched by the time the first ones left the nest?  "Tiz a  mystery to me!

Also, the hummingbird I wrote about in the same post fed for ONE day, made  a
non-feeding pass at the feeder the next morning and flew away for good.
Haven't had any since.  At least, one for the spring is better than  none.

Happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN
.