[TN-Bird] Field Trip

  • From: "Harold W. Howell" <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:10:25 -0400

The Knoxville Chapter of TOS is sponsoring a previously unannounced field
trip this Saturday:

Saturday, October 11, 2003
Leader:  David Trently (phone:  865-974-8664w; 865-531-1473h)
Field Trip to Kyker Bottoms, Blount County
Depart at 8:00 a.m. from the Stokley Building parking
lot, 320 N. Cedar Bluff, west Knoxville, or meet at approximately
8:45 a.m. at the gravel parking area past the barn.
Prepare to get wet and covered with seeds!!

Last weekend, I wandered through wet fields at the Sloughs WMA in Henderson
County, western Kentucky, and we had looks at Sora, Virginia and King Rails,
American Bitterns, Short-eared Owl, Sedge and Marsh Wrens, Lincoln's
Sparrow.
Are all these possible this weekend? One way to find out is to get out there
and look! We should also keep our eyes open for Henslow's, LeConte's and
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows, plus a good amount of waterfowl should be
around. Oh..and wouldn't it be nice if a Yellow or Black Rail make an
appearance?!

If you have waders or waterproof boots, wear them! We will be walking
through
wet areas as we look for these more elusive species. We only have a couple
more weeks before the refuge closes for hunting season, so let's get out
there
and try to document some of these uncommonly seen birds.

David Trently

We also have a trip also planned to Kyker Bottoms for October 25, 2003 which
will be posted later.  TOS members and non-members alike are cordially
invited to join any of our field trips.

Best regards, and hope to see you there.

Harold Howell
KTOS Field Trip Coordinator

                 jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx