[TN-Bird] Feeder questions

  • From: Vikram Chhatre <crypticlineage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 11:05:49 -0500

Belmont Area
Davidson County,
Nashville, TN

Hello Birders,

Two weeks ago I installed my first ever feeders in the backyard.  First
I hung a thistle seed feeder (sack type) and there has been no activity
on it ever since.

The other feeder is platform type and I used Sunflower seeds in it.  I
had common grackles and blue jays visiting it shortly afterwards and
they have not stopped eating there.  I had to refill the feeder in less
than a week.

I am wondering why I haven't had any activity on the thistle feeder
yet.  Is it because finches and other small songbirds are not here yet,
or am I doing something wrong?  Also, what would be the best place to
put a suet feeder?  Do you hang it on the tree or install it on the
window.  I only have one window to get a view of other feeders, so I
would rather not install the suet feeder on that window.

The squirrels are all over the place trying to get to the feeders but
they have not succeeded at it yet because I hung them using fishing
line, but they have been successful at chasing the birds out sometimes.
What can I do to minimize their interference with the feeders?

Happy Birding!

Vikram Chhatre
Davidson County
Nashville, TN