[TN-Bird] Fall Food

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:33:47 -0500

In our area we had a freeze in early May, which wiped out the peach, apple, and acorn crops for 2011. It was spotty, worse at lower elevations (cold air drainage). It was not severe, but it was late and the later in the season the more fragile the developing nuts and fruit are. Walnuts bloom later than oaks, their catkins had not yet opened.

Bill Pulliam
Lewis County TN

On Sep 26, 2011, at 3:12 PM, G R LAUGHLIN wrote:

Someone mentioned no acorns or other nuts this fall and wondered about a spring freeze. Apparently we had something because I had no apple blossoms or apples this year. I do have walnuts already falling for the squirrels. I also feed corn. Nita Laughlin Springfield, TN 9-26-2011