[TN-Bird] Fall Count, October 5

  • From: FINCH64@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:07:04 EST

On October 5 I participated in the Fall Count for the NTOS. We covered Radnor
Lake, Old Hickory Lake and the Ash Pond at Gallatin Steam Plant. I am not a
very experienced birder so this was a chance for me to definitely get some
lifers.

These are my lifers for the day along with the locations:

Wood Duck (Ash Pond, Gallatin Steam Plant)
Gadwall (Old Hickory Lake)
American Wigeon (Old Hickory Lake)
Northern Shoveler (Gallatin Steam Plant, Old Hickory Lake)
Green-winged Teal (Gallatin Steam Plant)
Hooded Merganser! (Old Hickory Lake) - rather early appearance
Pileated Woodpecker (Radnor Lake) - call only but still a first
Pectoral Sandpiper (Gallatin Steam Plant)
Ring-billed Gull (Old Hickory Lake)
fleeting glimpses of the following raptors (not sure if they really count) -
Sharp-Shinned Hawk (Radnor Lake)
Cooper's Hawk (Radnor Lake)
Black-Crowned Night-Heron (Old Hickory Lake - tons of them!)
Philadelphia Vireo (Radnor Lake)
Red-eyed Vireo (Radnor Lake)
Grey-cheeked Thrush (Radnor Lake)
Swainson's Thrush (Radnor Lake)
Grey Catbird (Radnor Lake, Old Hickory Lake)
Lincoln's Sparrow (Old Hickory Lake)
Field Sparrow (Old Hickory Lake)
really cleaned up with the warblers -
Tennessee Warbler (Radnor Lake, Old Hickory Lake)
Nashville Warbler (Radnor Lake)
Northern Parula (Radnor Lake)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Radnor Lake)
Magnolia Warbler (Radnor Lake, Old Hickory Lake)
Black-throated Green Warbler (Radnor Lake)
Blackburnian Warbler (Radnor Lake)
Palm Warbler (Old Hickory Lake)
Black-and-White Warbler (Radnor Lake, Old Hickory Lake)
American Redstart (Radnor Lake)
Common Yellowthroat (Radnor Lake, Old Hickory Lake)
Scarlet Tanager (female, Old Hickory Lake)

There were others sighted (especially at Radnor) that I didn't see myself -
especially the Cape May Warbler. I apologize if I may have left some out
(maybe some flycatchers) since we saw so many it was difficult to keep up
with sometimes. I had to check with Jan Shaw to verify certain groups
(vireos, warblers, waterfowl) to be certain what was counted and where.

But I had a great day and a great time birding with Chris, Jason and Jeff.
Thanks guys!

Barry Jernigan
Murfreesboro, TN