[TN-Bird] Re: Facebook birding

  • From: Stephen Zipperer <stczipperer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 14:29:25 -0500

I could not agree more with the points made by previous post. I have used
ebird and tn-bird since I got back to birding 4 or 5 years ago and have
entered all my passed records from when i used to bird into ebird. I have
promoted the use to everyone I have met birding or have messaged with on
Facebook and continue to do so. Unfortunately there are folks who will not
report to these 2 places for various reasons. Fortunately they do post on
Facebook and I would say more than 95 percent of the time these birds get
put in ebird or tn-bird because someone who does post chases the bird. I
am more frustrated with people who never post but are out there finding
great birds that need posting. I will continue to promote multiple postings
of birds to tn-bird and ebird, but unfortunately some people will never
post there. All we can do is keep trying to get people to report and if
facebook is the only Avenue they will use it is better than no report at
all. As a disclosure I am a current administrator for the Tennessee birding
Facebook page and when Scott Somershoe left for Colorado I took over
writing the seasons report for the middle tennessee highland rim area for
The Migrant, so I understand the issues involved here and actively promote
ebird and tn-bird listing every chanel I get.

Good birding

Stephen Zipperer
Rutherford Co
On Aug 12, 2015 2:05 PM, "james tucker" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A TN-Bird app would sure be an awesome tool. I agree & understand the
points made by the gentleman prior to me. It is just so easy to access
Facebook & document with a photo your sightings. I am not sure how to post
a photo through the list serve or search archives (this is my fault since I
have not taken the time to learn.) Good points guys & I appreciate being
able receive alerts via email so quickly.

Regards,
Jimmy Tucker
Knoxville, TN

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone <https://yho.com/footer0>

On Aug 12, 2015, 2:54:58 PM, Chris Sloan wrote:
I just want to give a giant +1 to what Bill just said. As someone who
routinely has to search for records, it is painful when something only
shows up on Facebook for all the reasons Bill mentioned. I'll mention one
more: Facebook has weird algorithms for what shows up in your newsfeed and
what doesn't. I have, on numerous occasions, gone into the TN Birding
Facebook page and found posts that would be of interest to me that never
showed up in my newsfeed.

There is a related point to this also. There are now several local
listservs for different parts of Tennessee. Occasionally there have been
sightings that would be of interest outside that area that were only posted
on those listservs and not on the statewide list. I strongly encourage
folks to crosspost to both in those instances. TN-Birds has a functional
(if not ideal) archive and search feature that is workable for researchers
but not if the information isn't in there.

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN
http://www.chrissloanphotography.com

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Facebook is being used increasingly as a platform for birders to connect
and share information. Per se this is a fine thing; more avenues of
communication can't be bad. However, I see a worrisome trend in that
information is being moved to Facebook at the detriment of other platforms.
As an example, do a Google search for "Ruff Ensley 2015 tn" and look at the
front page of results. You see a variety of hits, many from this very
mailing list. But you will not see anything from any Facebook page. This is
not because it has not been discussed there; it is because much Facebook
content does not appear in Google searches.

The problems I see with Facebook as a primary platform for sharing
birding info include:

-- It is not archival. Information is poorly organized and old
information is a challenge to find if you do not know exactly where to look.

-- It is poorly searchable. From the outside, much is essentially
unsearchable.
-- It is not globally accessible. Anyone anywhere can find and read TN
birds with nothing more than an internet connection and a search engine.
Anyone with a valid e-mail address can join the list and post. To have full
access to a Facebook group, you need to enter a relationship with a private
for-profit corporation that has a poor track record with regard to user
privacy. And it is of little or no use for visiting birders and new birders
who are looking for announcements of official and unofficial field trips
and other events.
I am not saying abandon Facebook. But I am saying, don't use it as the
ONLY place to share info that could be of interest to the larger birding
community. Which, let's face it, is pretty much ANYTHING about birds.

And for the record, because of its poor global accessibility, information
posted to Facebook is useless as documentation for an eBird report.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the
society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

--------------------------------
Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
Clemson, SC

MAP RESOURCES

requires you to SIGN YOUR MESSAGE with first and last name, CITY (TOWN) and
state abbreviation. You are also required to list the COUNTY in which the
birds you report were seen. The actual DATE OF OBSERVATION should appear in
the first paragraph.
is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS)
nor its moderator(s) endorse the views or opinions expressed by the members
of this discussion group. Moderator: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
wallace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ------------------------------ Assistant
Moderator Andy Jones Cleveland, OH -------------------------------
Assistant Moderator Dave Worley Rosedale, VA
-------------------------------- Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan Clemson,
Tennessee Ornithological Society web site at http://www.tnbirds.org * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ARCHIVES TN-Bird Net
Archives at //www.freelists.org/archives/tn-bird/ MAP RESOURCES