[TN-Bird] Face off between cardinal and downy and pairing activity

  • From: Viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 20:37:54 -0500 (EST)

Today I watched through my window as a female cardinal positioned on the
top suet container (home made suet) and a male downy landing on the the
larger woodpecker suet feeder positioned below it, froze in a face  off,
hissing, posturing and raising hackles/crest.  The  downy made himself into a
missle shape, beak extended forward,  crown feathers raised.  This lasted
possibly a minute or  more.  The next thing I knew, they were both eating
undisturbed in their  respective places.

My pair of phoebes are visiting the gazebo shelf daily and staying close
together.  Have not seen nest buildling yet, but expect to see it  soon.  As
recently as Monday, the pair of flickers were also visiting the  gazebo
shelf.  I've heard the female pecking.  The male and female  roosted on
separate
sides of the shelf Monday night.  Have not  been home at roosting hour to
see them in past few days.  I've been  wondering what would happen when the
phoebes reclaimed their  nesting spot.

And, I was excited to see a pair of Eastern bluebirds on my nest box  this
morning, the female inside the guard, the male perched on top.  A few
minutes later they were gone.  They're teasing me.

Vickie Henderson
Knoxville, TN
South Knox County

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan