[TN-Bird] FW: inquiry about success with oriole feeders in TN

  • From: Dev Joslin <devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird listserve <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:19:56 -0600

Try Bananas!--see below

Dev Joslin
Monteverde, CR

From: devjoslin@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: dfvogt41@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [TN-Bird] inquiry about success with oriole feeders in TN
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:47:17 -0600

David,

I can't speak about feeders in TN, but here in Costa Rica we put out bananas
(nothing else) every morning, and we have from 6-12 Baltimore Orioles eating
them every day from October to April.  Of course, bananas are really cheap here
(about 5 cents apiece), plus we grow our own.  But they really do love them.

Dev Joslin
Monteverde, Costa Rica

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:36:59 -0500
From: dfvogt41@xxxxxxxxx
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am aware that people in the western U.S. have success attracting orioles to
feeders loaded with oranges or other fruit but have not heard many stories of
eastern orioles coming to feeders.  But, maybe people do get orioles at their
feeders in TN.  Anyway, would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had
orioles at feeders and, if so, which species and with what kind of fruit.

Thanks,David VogtChattanooga, TN