[TN-Bird] FW: barred owl behavior

  • From: "Raincrow" <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:23:19 -0800

Hi Steve
I saw almost this exact behavior as a Barred Owl watched me watch it settle
down for sleep. Think how squirrels, birds, all kinds of critters behave if you
go motionless for several minutes. I won't go as far as saying they "forget"
you're there, but they appear to lose vigilence/flight urge. Birders and more
hunger-driven hunters take advantage of this.
How did the situation you witnessed resolve itself? Did the owl fly away or
stay? Did the mob leave or stay? Did any of the mobbing individuals stay and
forage in the area, and if they stayed did they seem to lose their fear of the
owl? I ask this because "my" Barred Owl's behavior felt almost like a
cross-species communication gesture (the way dogs, horses, and bears all
understand the "play bow") -- "look, I'm settling down and have no intention of
hunting you. You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone."

Thanks for your opinions, observations, speculations.

Liz Singley
Kingston TN