[TN-Bird] FW: Mass killing of migratory falcons in NE India

  • From: "Aborn, David" <David-Aborn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-birds Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 13:18:30 +0000

TN-Birders:

There has been recently published information of the mass killing of migratory
falcons in Nagaland, in NE India, on their annual epic migration from China to
Africa over the Indian subcontinent.

Mr. Ramki Sreenivasan and other researchers from conservationindia.org found
that tens of thousands of these falcons are being caught, sold and eaten each
day during the time they migrate through Nagaland during October.  They
estimate that a hundred thousand or more may be harvested each year. The full
story is on their website
http://www.conservationindia.org/campaigns/amur-massacre

This species is listed under the Indian Wildlife Protection Act, CMS appendix
and is included in the African-Eurasian MOU on Raptors, of which India is a
range state. The state authorities are taking action.

Raising greater awareness about this issue and finding lasting solutions is
going to be important, including alternate livelihoods for the people involved.

As I understand, the species only stops briefly in the Nagaland state (perhaps
only during October-November), although we need to learn more about their
migration strategies - so targeted action on this would be important too.

David Aborn
Chattanooga, TN