[TN-Bird] FOX SPARROW

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:16:57 EST

Greetings again from the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville, Davidson
County, just a few blocks east of the Cleece's Ferry ramp on the Cumberland
River.
Just moments ago, a gorgeous fox sparrow lit on my deck and proceeded to
devour every seed in sight while appearing to "bully" the juncos and
white-throats
that were already there and seemed dwarfed in its presence.  It's a new yard
bird for me, but I have seen them up at the WSMV tower which is about a
half-mile away by air and over at the old Cleece's Ferry ramp which is about
four
blocks away.

Gosh, ain't it wonderful to be snowed in and keeping the birds well stocked
with food so that they come right up beside the door where they can be seen
really beautifully with the "naked eye?"

By the way, 7 male cardinals REALLY light up the snow, and they all brought
their "ladies" with them.  My mockers are eating in tandem now, so I think
either romance is in the air or they are "bundling" due to the cold.

Also, I had a house sparrow a little while ago that had a frozen drop of
water hanging from the end of its tail--carrying its very own icicle you might
say.

Must go put out more peanut butter.  My mockingbird is sitting about six feet
away on an outside chair looking inside at me very forlornly in anticipation.
 The other one is sitting on a grape vine back behind the "beggar."  I gave
in and just rushed outside to feed them.  As usual, they raced me to the peanut
butter perch.

Cheers & prayers for a great 2005 of birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN