[TN-Bird] FOS-Pectoral Sandpipers and others

  • From: "Cyndi Routledge" <routledges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:28:55 -0500

Wed. March 17
Henry & Stewart Co.
Another cloudy day in the mid- 50's as Cyndi and I made our way over to Britton
Ford, Paris Landing/Eagle Creek, and Cross Creeks.  The bay at the VF Childs
Observation Deck  at Britton Ford was monopolized by 200-250 Ruddy Ducks.
Other than 2-3 Bufflehead, 5-6 Green-winged Teal and a few air-borne
Ring-Billed Gulls,  this area was pretty quiet.

Our  second stop, thanks to a tip from another  Britton Ford patronizer, was
Eagle Creek  where indeed 100-125 American White Pelicans looked to be settling
in for the evening.  While watching these intently, Cyndi found a Barred Owl as
well as an ample 35-40 bird flock of Pectoral Sandpipers behind the pelicans.
Not a lot of waterfowl here either, other than a smattering of Gadwall, Horned
and Pied-billed Grebes, and Bufflehead.

However, Paris Landing itself  had healthy numbers of waterfowl with 4-5 rafts
of  Lesser Scaup totaling 500-600 birds approximately.  Mixed in with these
were several Ring-Necked Ducks and more than likely some Greater Scaup.
(Always  a little hard to discern these from the distance we were looking).  A
lone Common Loon was fishing near the bridge (rather successfully, it appeared
!) and the sand bar near the bridge appeared  to have several Herring and
Ring-billed Gulls as well as Am. Coots, Horned Grebes and another group of
20-25 White Pelicans.  The resident Red-headed Woodpecker gave us a nice
parting look as we left the park and headed to.............

Cross Creeks, which has recently re-opened. We found the Bald Eagle sitting on
it's nest that Joan Stevens at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge had
directed us to. This one is in addition to the one we saw nesting at
neighboring Ft. Donelson Battlefield.  Along the length of the refuge, we saw
several pairs of Wood Ducks as well as our F.O.S  Tree Swallows. All-in-all  a
total of 43 species were seen and  once again the afternoon just flew by.

Till next time,

Steve & Cyndi  Routledge
Clarksville-Montgomery Co.

Unless someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not.
                         -The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss