[TN-Bird] FOS Spotted Sandpiper

  • From: Susan Riley <susan_riley54@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:42:55 -0500

Hatchie Wildlife Refuge, Haywood County
March 23, 2014

I birded the Hatchie Wildlife Refuge late this afternoon. I went looking for
early migrants and waterfowl. I was rewarded with lots of ducks and a FOS
Spotted Sandpiper. Also seen:

    Blue-winged teal. Lots
    Northern Shoveler   24
    Gadwall. 12
    Ring-necked duck. Pair
    Bufflehead.  1 lone male
    American Coot. ( all over Neal Lake)
    Pied-billed Grebe.  5
    Canada Goose 5
    Great Egret  1
    Great Blue Heron.    2
    Greater Yellowlegs  1
    Barn Swallow  4 on a tree.
    Northern Rough-winged Swallow  several on a tree.  ( there were lots of
swallows flying over fields and the lake but not close enough to identify)
    Double-crested Cormorants  63
    Swamp sparrow. 1
    Song sparrow  1
    Bluebird. Pair
    Red headed woodpecker  2
    Red bellied woodpecker.  1
    Red tailed Hawk.    2
    Red winged blackbirds.  Many

I also saw a flock of at least 10 cardinals forging the corn fields together.
Such a pretty sight!!
So glad I made the drive today!

Susan Riley
Shelby County