[TN-Bird] Exciting News re: Ceruleans in Tropics

  • From: "Chris Sloan" <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 20:59:00 -0500

All-
Many of you know Melinda Welton, a TOS member who has been actively
involved in research on Cerulean Warblers in TOS and elsewhere.  At her
husband John Noel's request, I have pasted below a series of emails from
John about Melinda's current expedition to Belize to attempt to locate
the never-before-documented staging area for Ceruleans returning from
their wintering grounds.  I hope you'll find this as exciting and
interesting as I do.

I will post further updates when/if I receive them from John.

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN

From:    "John Noel"=20
To:      <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Date:    Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:03:52 -0600

Friends,
Melinda has arrived at her expedition destination, Union Camp,a deserted
clearing holding one precious resource ......water. The path to the camp
is littered with logs ,muddy ,and in  word ....a slog. There is no water
along the way as much of the geology is of limestone base. In the brief
conversation via satellite phone it was evident it was a long journey
and she expressed her elation over the beautiful clear running stream in
camp. I was thinking how many weary travelers  before have felt the same
jubilation on approaching a resource often taken for granted . Perhaps
all humanity required to venture in this way would embrace this
treasure, protecting the resource with their life.....as in fact it is.
Now Melinda can settle in and be about the business of her quest.  More
as I know it.

=20
John

From:    "John Noel"=20
To:      <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Date:    Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:08:34 -0500

Friends,

Received "the call" last night via satellite .  Melinda has found a
'staging ground' for the return migration  of the Cerulean Warbler ! =20
This has never before been recorded.  She and her interns identified 8
ceruleans of which 5 were in a flock.  If  I`m correct, she is likely
the only person on the planet to identify and see a "flock of Ceruleans"
as they are loners in Tennessee paring for mating ,raising young, then
returning south to (now we know) at least Belize to winter over. Her
putting together scraps of information and research led her to this
remote forest in southern Belize and resulting discovery. Comparably
,this is much like  researching and discovering a sunken ship  and
treasure  of gold ,except, the long term consequences of this
information may prove beneficial to slowing the birds decline and the
destruction of its habitat from Tennessee to Belize . Melinda once told
me  " many of our Tennessee birds are borrowed from South America as
they are here only a short time to raise young then return home ". If
home is  logged or destroyed on their return ........they risk death.
She now will remain one more day making the decent in hopefully two
days. I hope so as she reported thrice encountering the snake called the
Fertalance an aggressive quick and deadly snake ........nearly no one
survives its bite. Yesterday she found the scratchings of the Jaguar
and saw a Taper (sp) and a Kinkajou (a lemur like animal ) ,also, fairly
certain she saw a
ocelot which would be a very rare sighting.   The side benefit to being
an ornithologist is the knowledgeable use of binoculars, standing still
,and quietly observing what's around you to see what's really going on.
Perhaps it should be a requirement for all those who serve in public
office to become ornithologists ,or at the very minimum, knowledgeable
in the use of that which enhances a ' wide field of view
'..........works for husbands too ! Winding down now .....will advise on
her safe journey out.

                                                                    john