[TN-Bird] Eventful end of the day

  • From: "wodu1440 tds.net" <wodu1440@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 17:19:34 -0500

Clayton Ferrell
Tennessee NWR
Duck River Unit
Humphreys County
06/07/11

Well I had my camera with me almost the whole day, but after putting it up I
had to run back out to check on some farm fields.  While going past one
field I nearly wrecked upon spying two sandhill cranes in their rusty
breeding plumage.  They flew off after only about a minute of watching
them.  Of course I immediately headed in to get the camera.  I spent an hour
searching for them to no avail, but did find a least tern feeding over Pool
4.  Earlier in the day I also found a new double-crested cormorant rookery.
I was busy doing other tasks, but a quick count showed 53 birds sitting in
nests.  Plan to get back out later this week for a more accurate count.
This is about five times more nests than ever recorded on the refuge.