[TN-Bird] Evening Grosebeaks past records

  • From: TenacBirder@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "bird, tn-" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 06:48:34 +0000 (UTC)

Evening Grosebeaks
Hixson, Hamilton Co., Tn.
March thru May 1996

From our back yard when we were relatively new birders.

From our record books, our first sighting was life bird #233, a female,
seen on March 29, 1996.  From 3-29 until 4-21 we had almost daily
sightings of 1 to 3 birds.  Our first beakout day was on 4-21-96.  During
these recordings we would see the birds mostly all day long.  They ate
a ton of black oil sunflower seeds from our homemade flat platform feeder.
The following sightings represent only the highest number of birds seen
at one time.

3-29-96   1 F
4-21-96   12 F - 3 M
4-22            12 F - 3 M
4-23            11 F - 5 M
4-25            12 F - 5 M
4-26            16 F - 2 M
4-27            21 F - 3 M
4-28        15 F - 4 M
4-29            18 F - 2 M
4-30              4 F - 2 M
5 - 2                    12 ?
5 - 3             6 F - 0 M
5 - 4                    12 ?
5 - 5             2 F - 0 M
5 - 6                      1 ?
5 - 7             2 F

Also of interest now is the number of sightings during that same time period
that
represented Rosebreasted Grosebeaks, Indigo Buntings and Purple Finches.

We no longer live at that same address and miss it sorely.  Our habitat was so
much better then.

Jimmy & Cynthia Wilkerson
Hixson, Hamilton Co., Tn.