[TN-Bird] Eurasian Wigeon continues at Hatchie NWR

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 22:04:23 +0000 (UTC)

Oneal LakeHatchie NWR, Haywood countyFebruary 9,  2015
I made a swing by Oneal Lake at Hatchie NWR this morning to see if the Eurasian
Wigeon was still present and I had the bird within 1 minute of arriving. It was
feeding with some Gadwalls, Redheads, American Wigeons, and Ring-necked Ducks
on the lake about 50 yards offshore right off the entrance road. Unfortunately
before I could set up the scope and digi-scope a photo, an adult Bald Eagle
flew over and flushed the entire flock way out into the lake. I spent the next
hour and a half trying to refind the bird but never was able to refind it.
There are ducks all over the lake itself and in the surrounding flooded fields
so there are plenty of close places for it to go when it's not out in the lake.
I had 10 species of waterfowl. A couple of other species of note were a single
Great Egret in a flooded field just south of the lake and a single Tree Swallow
flying out over the lake.
This was my 2nd Eurasian Wigeon in the state. The first was at Lauderdale
Waterfowl Refuge in Lauderdale County back on January 1, 1997. Thanks to
Gaynell Perry for finding this bird and for reporting it so others could see
it. Hopefully it will hang around for a while but it may take some patience to
see.
Good birding!

Mark GreeneTrenton, TNGibson County