[TN-Bird] Eurasian Wigeon, Long-tailed Duck and Common Merg - Robco Lake

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:32:20 EST

Jan. 18, 2009
TVA and Robco Lake
Shelby Co. TN

First things first, The Eurasian Wigeon is in the company of 4 American
Wigeon (2 male and 2 females) plus 10,000 other ducks. We see very few Wigeon
on
Robco so even those grab your attention, but when I first saw this bird, far
away and head on with head tucked, the terra-cotta color got my attention
thinking I had my leucistic scaup again. The bird has a striking  pale
yellowish
pink crown stripe and typical white square on its side at the rear. It  will
be impossible to find this bird anytime after 11 AM because of the sun as  the
bird stayed well to the west of the viewing area. Hope for overcast skies.
The heat waves off the cold water prevented any good ID photos.

The Common Merganser and female Long-tailed Duck were much closer  but the
cold air and warm water made for marginal for which I'm famous. An  adult Bald
Eagle and 19 White Pelicans dropped by in the afternoon. Quite a few
Ring-billed Gulls still on the lake but NO Bonaparte's today. A single immature

Herring Gull made a late day appearance and over 500 Canvasback were  counted.

For the second morning, I got to TVA Lake just in time to see the Black
Scoter leave. No Surf or Long-tail today. Over 600 Ring-billed Gulls were
resting
on the lake this afternoon. In with the gulls was a LARGE white gull  that,
when it stood up, morphed into a Ross's Goose.......oops!

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.
steps!
cemailfooterNO62)

                       MAP RESOURCES