[tn-bird] Re: Eurasian Collared Doves

  • From: "K. Dean Edwards" <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:55:51 -0500 (EST)

Thought I would follow up with a bit on the status of
Eurasian Collared-Dove in the Knoxville area which would
probably best be called "unclear" or "in need of study".
To my knowledge, the following is a summary of all reports
of Eur. Collared-Dove in Knox and surrounding counties.
I don't have all my records handy so some dates are sketchy.

The first record I know of was a single bird in Jefferson
City, Jefferson Co., on 13 Oct 1999 seen by myself (Dean
Edwards).

The following December (1999) or early January 2000, J.B.
Owen wrote a column in the Knoxville News-Sentinel about
a gentleman who had been feeding some strange doves in a
park in Clinton in Anderson Co.  J.B. identified them as
Eurasian Collared-Doves from the man's description.
Others (including Ron Hoff among others whom I can't recall)
later verified this sighting.  I do not know the current
status of this group.

Karns community in Knox Co. contacted J.B. to say that he had
Eurasian Collared-Doves coming to his feeder for about a
month.  I'm not sure if this report was ever verified, seems
like it was (maybe by J.B. himself or perhaps Boyd Sharp).
These birds would have qualified for the 100th Knoxville
Christmas Count but I learned of them too late for inclusion.
I have neglected to check back on them in subsequent years
and do not know the current status of this group.

On 7 January 2001, David Trently reported a single
Eurasian Collared-Dove in Jefferson Co., approximately
5 miles from the location of the original Oct 1999 sighting.
No subsequent reports have been made from Jefferson Co.

That's it.  I try to look at every dove I see while
driving around town (traffic allowing of course) but have
yet to have another definite sighting in this area nor
do I know of anyone who has seen them.  Perhaps we just
don't bird in the areas where they frequent, or perhaps
they're not here in any numbers.  We just don't know.

So "Rare" would probably be a good description for this
part of the state... and here's hoping it stays that way!

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN
kde@xxxxxxx